As a corporate leader or sales professional, traveling seems to come with the territory. With long work hours and busy schedules, it can be difficult to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle.
We can completely relate with you, as we have lived the corporate leader and sales role life for over two decades. We know the hours are long, with very little breaks throughout your day to even think about what healthy means. We know the meeting days are full to unhealthy junk food and drinks along with happy hours to follow and late night wining and dining. We also know the travel hours are not always the most convenient when trying to fit in a healthy lifestyle. However, a balanced diet and exercise are essential for maintaining good health, energy levels, and productivity. So, here are some tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle and eating healthfully while traveling:
6 Things Tips to Stay Fit and Fueled while Traveling
- Plan ahead: Before you leave for your trip, research the local cuisine and find restaurants that offer healthy options. You can also pack healthy snacks like nuts, fruits, vegetables, and pre-packed oatmeal to keep you fueled during your travels.
- Schedule your meals: With long work hours and busy schedules, it's easy to skip meals and then overeat. You can set reminders to eat at regular intervals to maintain your energy levels. You can also order healthy meals ahead of time and schedule them to be delivered to your hotel or office.
- Control your snacking: Snacking on unhealthy foods can quickly add up to a high calorie intake and leave you feeling sluggish. Instead, opt for healthy snacks like fruits, vegetables, and nuts to keep you fueled and focused throughout the day. Be mindful of how much you snack and try to stick to healthy options to avoid overeating.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is essential to staying healthy while traveling. Carry a refillable water bottle with you at all times and drink water regularly throughout the day.
- Be mindful of alcohol consumption: We recommend avoiding alcohol for many reasons. They are toxic, dehydrating, and high in calories to name just a few. If you must drink, limit your alcohol consumption and opt for healthier drink options like water or herbal tea. If you want to be discreet about not drinking, order a seltzer water with a lime. No one will ever know you aren't part of the crowd.
- Stay active: Exercise is essential to maintaining good health and productivity while traveling. Look for opportunities to be active such as taking a walk, going for a run, or using the hotel fitness center. There are many routines that you can even do in your hotel room, without any equipment and in as little as 15-20 minutes.
4 Things to Avoid while Traveling to Maintain Good Health and Productivity
- Avoid processed foods: Processed foods are often high in sugar, sodium, and unhealthy fats. Opt for fresh, whole foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Look for salad bars, smoothie/juice bars, or cafes that offer fresh, healthy options.
- Avoid Sugary drinks: Sugary drinks like soda, juice, and energy drinks can be high in calories and artificial junk which can lead to dehydration and energy drain. Instead, opt for water or other healthier drink options like herbal teas or sparkling waters.
- Avoid Skipping meals: Skipping meals can lead to overeating later on and can cause a drop in energy levels. It's important to eat regularly throughout the day to maintain your energy levels and focus. If you're short on time, grab a quick, healthy snack like a piece of fruit or nuts.
- Avoid Fast food: Fast food is often high in calories, sodium, and unhealthy fats. It's also often low in nutrients and can leave you feeling sluggish and tired. Try to avoid fast food restaurants and opt for healthier options.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle while traveling with long work hours can be a challenge, but with some planning and mindful choices, it's possible to stay healthy and productive. By following these tips, you can enjoy your travels while sticking to your health plan.
If you would like more pointers or guidance in this area, we would love to help. We lived the corporate leader and sale professional life for over 2 decades. So, we can completely relate. We can help you create a completely customized health plan and take the research and planning completely off your plate. Why not take the advantage of our trials and experience, so you can skip ahead with a proven sustainable plan that will help you reach your goals faster than ever before?
Book your consultation today.